Friday, May 16, 2014

Sidelined Again


In my last post, I vowed to finish my unfinished Christmas presents before starting anything new....
Finished stocking for Adella



I was only partly successful. Alas Dad's Christmas socks and Callum's Christmas stocking remain in UFO limbo. I have a good excuse this time....

PROJECTS WITH DEADLINES

A friend of mine, Sharon Leitch, who is teaching a nursing program, asked me to create a quilt as a teaching aid. This quilt was to be approximately 3 feet square, and the theme was to be person-centred senior's care. She gave me a list of words/concepts she wanted included in the quilt, and asked me to brainstorm. 

I immediately became completely absorbed it the project, to practically the exclusion of anything else, for about 3 months. I finished it in April, sewing on the label 10 minutes before handing it over to Sharon! 

I envisioned the quilt as a 13 block quilt, medallion-style, with 12 smaller blocks surrounding a centre block. We talked about the word reflection, and discussed using a reflective substance in one of the blocks. I became enamoured of the idea of somehow mounting a mirror in the centre block. 

I decided to crazy quilt the squares, using parts of vintage linens and doilies in the blocks. I wanted to incorporate photographs into the quilt as well. I learned a lot about playing with photos in Photoshop Elements on the fly, and then printed the photographs on to fabric. I crazy pieced and hand embroidered my blocks, embellishing them with beads and words. Each small block took approximately 8 to 10 hours to create. The centre medallion block took hours longer -- I am not sure how many. I hand-dyed many of the embroidery threads and silk ribbon used in the piece.

So here it is...


"Do You See Me?"


Quilt concept by Sharon Leitch, designed and created by Susan Sharkey. Texada Island, BC.  2013


Do You See Me? - You can see me in the mirror taking the photo!



Center Medallion block. Who do you see??



Respect. I am particularly fond of the doily/button detail.



Voice



A block to represent work history.



Some photos of friends and family at leisure.



Love/Companionship. The doily and buttons make another appearance.


Family. Relationships cross generations.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.
-Maya Angelou
Service. This is Sharon's grandmother and grandfather. Photos of them when they served in the war, and with their grandchildren. 

Life History - Billy
Life History - Louise

Without dignity, identity is erased.  I love this quote by Laura Hillenbrand.



This has been a pivotal project in my quilting career. I have found my true love, a marriage of the quilting and the hand embroidery that I love so much.  I love the spontaneity and the creativity that comes with the fly by the seat of your pants method of crazy quilting. 
Sharon is going to be exhibiting the quilt at a senior's care conference in London, England this spring. She will be subsequently using it as a teaching aid in classes with her nursing students. She has promised me the loan of it for the upcoming quilt show at the Texada Artist's Studio Tour in August 2014, and for the Timberlane Quilt Show in Spring 2015.






































No comments:

Post a Comment